But there is hope for us if we just make an effort to learn or improve on a few skills to make us better listeners.
2. Give the speaker your undivided attention. Don't interrupt, or finish their sentence for them.
3. Don't be distracted and try to avoid any interruptions.
5. Don't be judgemental or jump to conclusions.
7. Practise reflective listening. Mirror back, in your own words what someone is trying to tell you. For example, "Let me make sure I understand you .......". It shows you are paying attention, and they can correct you if you are wrong.
- we form better relationships
- we are more productive
- we are more efficient
- helps in negotiations
- misunderstandings can be avoided
- there is less conflict in our lives
I am sure you do practise some of these skills already, but make a conscious effort to improve on them to make you a better listener.
I hope this has been a help, let me know by leaving a comment. Thank you.
till next time,
have a great week ahead. See you soon